As UBI policy is actively debated across the country, perhaps hearing from the voices of high school students, the next generation, can point the way
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
This year is the first high school essay contest in honor of the 19th North American Basic Income Guarantee (NABIG) Congress. All high school students in the U.S. and Canada are invited to enter! The deadline is Friday, May 21, 2021.
The winner will earn a cash prize of $300 and be invited to appear virtually at the NABIG Congress on June 17th-19th 2021, where the prize will be awarded.
- Essay should be 2-3 pages, double spaced, 1″ margins, 12-point font.
- Essay must be under 1000 words & written in English.
- Any sources quoted or paraphrased should be cited in a list of references using some standard reference style, such as APA. (References are exempt from the word count.)
- Essay should address at least one of the following prompts:
- Should your country have a universal basic income? Why or why not?
- Should there be a world basic income? If so, should this take priority over a universal basic income for your country? Why or why not?
- How does basic income intersect with the aims and strategies of other social movements working for racial, social, and environmental justice?
- You must be a student enrolled in high school in the U.S. or Canada (including territories) for the academic year 2020-2021.
- Winners will need to provide a letter from a teacher or school administrator confirming that the essay is their own work and that they are a student enrolled in high school. The form and instructions will be provided to the winner at a later date.
- Winners will also need to provide a parental consent form for participating in the Congress and receiving the cash prize. The form and instructions to do so will be provided to the winner at a later date.
Essay Submissions: Please submit your essay by Friday, May 21, 2021 using this link: https://tinyurl.com/ESSAY-NABIG2021.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “HS Essay Contest” in subject line.
Congress Registration: Anyone may attend the virtual NABIG Congress without submitting an essay! You can register using this link: https://tinyurl.com/NABIG2021
High School Essay Contest Committee: Aleeza Howitt, Eri Noguchi, Robert Taylor
Link to online information: https://usbig.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/High-School-UBI-Essay-Contest-Announcement-040321.pdf and https://usbig.net/